Gallery Assistant – Part Time (1 day a week with additional ad-hoc days)
The Customs House Gallery is an independent art gallery in Porthleven working with local artists based mainly within Cornwall. We specialise in contemporary art and crafts from a wide range of artists working with a variety of materials.
We are looking for a friendly, conscientious, enthusiastic and approachable person with an interest in the visual arts. Applicants should be able to work independently but also consider themselves a team player. You will be a key member of very small team.
The ideal candidate will be able to give guidance to a customer looking for a particular work of art, discuss how it has been created and be able to gauge what a customer is looking for. You will need to be comfortable talking to customers about their preferences.
The job will typically include the following:
- Interacting with customers.
- Updating displays regularly and replenishing items when sold.
- Responding to sales enquiries using appropriate methods.
- Liaising with gallery artists.
- Taking delivery of new stock.
- Discussing framing options with customers and passing accurate details on to our framer.
- Processing Own Art applications online (a good level of IT literacy would be necessary).
- Ensuring the gallery is kept clean and tidy to present an inviting space to passing customers.
An appreciation of visual arts as well as previous retail experience is desirable. The successful candidate will need to be available on Saturdays or Sundays however flexibility is key as we plan the rotas one to two months in advance and may need to offer hours at short notice to cover staff sickness and other eventualities that may arise.
Closing date for applications: Monday 11th March 2019
All those short-listed will be contacted by 5pm on Wednesday 13th March to arrange an interview.
Start date: w/c 1st April 2019
Please send your CV with covering letter either by email or post to:
The Customs House Gallery, Commercial Road, Porthleven, TR13 9JD
Thank you for your interest, we hope to hear from you.